Insights into mentoring & relationships
The text on the left is taken from Ingrid's blog. If you would like to visit her official blog click the link below. You will also be able to view past blogs and read Ingrid's bio.
Hi all you lovely mentors!!
Are you ever stuck for something to talk about? Need some conversation starters? When you ask your mentee how their day was do they say "fine" or when you ask what they did today, do they reply with "nothing". I get that a lot as a mom of 4 kids ages 9-17.
A great idea we have at our house is the question jar. I find questions and I cut them in strips and either we go around and everyone gets to answer the same question OR everyone picks their own.
Here are some great ideas:
1. Tell me the 5 best things about you?
2. If you could have the following superpower, which one would you pick? The ability to fly, have super strength or be able to turn invisible?
3. If you were trapped on a deserted island & could pick a famous person to be with, who would it be?
4. If you could never be served two vegetables again, which would you choose?
5. Who do you think your family would prefer you to become: An NBA ballplayer, the mayor, a famous explorer, or a movie star? Why? Which would you prefer?
6. Which of your friends do you like the most? Why?
7. If a genie could grant you any 3 wishes, what would they be?
8. What profession do you want to be when you’re older?
9. Who was the best teacher you ever had? Tell me why?
10.What would the ideal teacher be like?
11.What college would you like to attend?
12.How much privacy would you like? What time of the day would like to be alone, and why?
13.What is your favorite meal?
14.Do you believe men and women are equally smart? Why or why not?
15.Do you ever have a dream that comes back over and over? If so, what is it like?
16.Is there anything you pretend you understand, but you really don’t? What is it?
17.Which of the following choices do you think would be best, and why?
Dinner with everyone at the table and the TV on with your favorite program.
Dinner in which everybody took what they wanted and no one had the same thing.
Dinner with the whole family together and no TV on.
18. .If you had to have a disability, which one of these would you pick, and why? Blindness or Deafness? Why?
19.Are you afraid to fly?
20.Tell me who you think are the 3 greatest musicians in the world? Why?
Try it and let me know how it goes! And if you have other great questions- please share!!